Friday, November 21, 2008

US as a superpower, or the end thereof

The Guardian has this article on the US National Intelligence Council newest report on the future. Say what you will, but the current wobbly economic climate has brought one positive thing with it: the US seems to finally have woken up. Their position as a superpower is not something to take for granted anymore. To keep their position they are going to have to do something.
Unfortunately, the gloomy report is quite scary as well. I usually can't wait to see what's going to happen to the world, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not sure I want to live in the 2025 that this report describes. A world with few resources, nuclear threats and major global environmental problems. Hopefully though, the US will take these warnings seriously and start doing something. And if there's someone who can, it's Barack Obama.
But then again, the US reminds me of a certain someone in my life that whenever you start to hope, you always fall flat down on your arse again. Hope is a dangerous thing. I'm better off sticking to my chosen path of cynicism.
Read the article,it's well worth it, but beware, it might give you nightmares!


No comments:

Post a Comment